NewJeans‘ Minji recently uploaded an apology to Phoning regarding her “kalguksu controversy.” The controversy started from a broadcast a year before her apology on January 16, 2024. Many accused her of pretending not to know what kalguksu (knife cut noodles) was in order to keep up a luxurious concept and image. Later, they criticized her “bad attitude” in handling the matter.
Hello, this is Minji.
Since my debut, so many people have shown interest and love, so I am always grateful to be able to take on activities. During a live broadcast on January 2, my tone and attitude caused discomfort to the viewers. I am truly sorry to the Bunnies who must have been surprised and hurt that I showed a bad attitude during a live broadcast where I usually communicate naturally and comfortably.
Last winter, I knew what kind of reaction I had when I said I didn’t know what kalguksu was. I’m a picky eater and have never tried kalguksu before, so I thought about the type and taste of kalguksu and before I knew it, I thought to myself, ‘what is kalguksu (knife-cut noodles)?’ I ended up saying it to myself, and didn’t know that there might be a misunderstanding. I wanted to give a clear explanation, but I thought it felt like water had already been spilled and it would calm down over time.
However, as time passed, more comments were made against my judgment, even my relationship with the members was mentioned, and I received strange misunderstandings, which continued to harass me knowingly or unknowingly for a year.
So I gave an explanation out of frustration, but I am also reflecting a lot on myself for disappointing you with my very immature attitude. Through this incident, I thought about it a lot during my vacation and talked to people around me about the responsibility of my every word, and I learned a lot. I will be more careful and attentive so as not to repeat the same mistake. I would like to once again express my apologies to the Bunnies who must have felt uncomfortable and embarrassed while watching the live broadcast.
But did things really have to go this far? The answer is no. Many Korean netizens are firmly on Minji’s side, and believe that the controversy was started by YouTube accounts who force controversies on idols for views. Not only this, but they attribute most of the community buzz about the matter to trolls and haters who needed a reason to bring Minji down.
- Minji did nothing wrong though????
- So many trolls jumped on the bandwagon so that it became too big to ignore. She was being bullied so severely that if she didn’t apologize, there would be no end to it. I think that’s why she did it. Minji, I support you.
- Why would she…
- They made her apologize over nothing. I really hate this. That community called “Female Celebrities Gallery,” f*ck, they were beating her up so bad for this even though she didn’t commit any crime. I’m sick of it.
- I’m dumbfounded. They made her write an apology letter over kalguksu? Is this right?
- They couldn’t find anything to hate on her for, so much so that they went for this…
- It’s too much that she had to write an apology letter…
- F*ck it really, those trolls and the company who made her write the letter over nothing.
- No, but why would you apologize over this…
- Is this something to apologize for? They’re kicking up a fuss over nothing.
Some even blamed the company for failing to protect Minji, forcing her to write an apology instead.
- Ridiculous and weird… Why would you apologize over this? Even if she said she would, the company should’ve stopped her. It’s so hard to live as a female celebrity.
- Is the company insane?
- They were forcing hate on her, so she clarified it, and then they gave her sh*t about her tone LOL. In the first place, fans weren’t the ones who said that, but the haters. They really hate female celebrities.
- That darned “tone.” “Ugh, they live so tiringly. Just go live your real life.
- What’s the big deal about kalguksu that they’re sh*tting.
- They’ve been throwing stones at a frog for a few months, and after bearing it, the frog jumped. Because water got on them, they’re trying it now… That’s what it feels like to me. And the people who threw the stone are all hiding in the back.
- Why are they making her apologize?
- The company seems insane.
- Legendary creation of a controversy FR.
- This incident popped up on Shorts a lot, and all the comments were malicious. She has nothing for them to hate on, so they’re just raring to hate on anything. They even made her upload an apology. So sick of it.
- She apologized because they kept mocking her. Ugh, terrible.
The post about her apology soon hit over 1500 comments from netizens in less than an hour of it being posted. The public opinion stands firmly on Minji’s side in the matter. You can read more about the controversy’s origins below.
Here’s What NewJeans Minji’s “Kalguksu Controversy” Is And How It Started